Baked Three-Cheese Onion Dip with Chive and Peperoncini
When great dips get together, it’s magic. This recipe boasts all the beauty of a creamy onion dip with the irresistible appeal of queso.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 ounces sharp white cheddar, coarsely grated (about 1 cup), divided
- 2 ounces Monterey Jack, coarsely grated (about ½ cup), divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped peperoncini
- Crackers and/or tortilla chips (for serving)
Preheat oven to 375°. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium. Cook onion, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and softened, 8–10 minutes; season with salt. Let cool.
Pulse cream cheese and mayonnaise in a food processor until smooth.
Toss cornstarch, ¾ cup cheddar, and ¼ cup Monterey Jack in a medium bowl to coat cheese. Mix in cream cheese mixture and cooked onion; season with salt and pepper. Scrape into a 1-qt. baking dish and top with remaining cheddar and Monterey Jack. Bake dip until golden and bubbling, 20–25 minutes. Let dip cool 5 minutes, then top with chives and peperoncini. Serve with crackers.